Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Welcome Introduction!


Hello everyone!



I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Jonathan Cruz - I am a Senior transfer student here at Governors State University. I am currently finishing up my undergraduate psychology degree, and about to apply for my masters program. My ultimate dream job is to go into the advising world in student services, admissions, or somewhere in higher education.


Now in case you were wondering how I got to GSU, here’s a little background about me:


Transferring to GSU, I started here in the Fall of 2014 as a Kankakee Community College Alumni, finishing up my Associate’s Degree also with a concentration in Psychology. Now I will say one of the perks of going to a community college, is that you have time to explore other majors and career opportunities.


I was originally a nursing student, but realized it was not something I was fit for. WIth campus involvement, volunteering, and exposure to KCC, I switched my major to psychology wanting to pursue a degree in the higher education field. For any of you high school students, take advantage of dual credit classes offered. When I entered KCC, I finished my senior year in high school with 28 credit hours! It was definitely a big money saver. :)


I also did not know I would transfer to GSU. For any student who is at a community college, see if your campus offers GSU’s Dual Degree Program. Hence the name itself, the program’s goal is to seek that you finish up your Associates and Bachelors debt free. That’s right you heard it! DEBT FREE! Now one of the major benefits I reaped from the program is the “DDP Honors Scholarship.” From getting involved, maintaining a high Cumulative GPA I get my tuition and fees paid for throughout my bachelors program. I consider it to be almost like a full ride scholarship; all i need to pay for were textbooks!


Now in July 2015, it’s been close to a year since I started at GSU. For any transfer students, I will say the first semester was pretty rough. But like all GSU professionals say, it may not just take a semester, it may take even two or three to find where you can fit in. As for myself, I found my home in the admissions office. As a student ambassador, I have great advisors, colleagues, and mutual friends to network with!

No comments:

Post a Comment